Eugene Tourist Attractions
Outdoor activities are the main draw for visitors to Eugene, Oregon, USA. River rafting and fishing on the Willamette, which passes through Eugene, are popular pastimes.
However, many neighboring mountain ranges are perfect for outdoor activities, including hiking, camping, and skiing. The museums and sporting events hosted by the University of Oregon also contribute to Eugene's popularity as a tourist destination.
Tourists can visit Alton Baker Park, Skinner Butte Park, and Spencer Butte Park, in addition to the University of Oregon and its affiliated athletic facilities.
Mount Pisgah Arboretum, a nature park with hiking paths and vistas of the Cascade Mountains, is another popular attraction.
Several museums and art galleries, including the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art and the Maude Kerns Art Center, may be found in Eugene, Oregon.
Address: 1430 Johnson Lane, Eugene, Oregon, USA
The University of Oregon is home to the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art (JSMA), an art museum. Ellis F. Lawrence conceived the original structure as part of the "main university quadrangle," today called the Memorial Quadrangle.
Gertrude Bass Warner, the Museum's first director, collector, and expert on Asian art, had a hand in shaping the building's aesthetics and functionality, especially its cutting-edge climate control systems.
In 1933, the University of Oregon's art museum first welcomed visitors.
More than 3,700 pieces of art from the Murray Warner Collection of Oriental Art were donated by Gertrude Bass Warner. It was designed by Ellis F. Lawrence, the dean of Architecture and Allied Arts at the time.
Since settling in Eugene in the 1920s, Warner had fought to include material culture in art classrooms.
Before moving to its current location in 1933, the collection was housed in Gerlinger Hall, the Woman's Memorial Hall named after the first female regent and art enthusiast Irene Hazard Gerlinger.
As the Museum's first director and "curator for life," Warner's original terms for the Murray Warner Collection of Oriental Art demonstrate his commitment to using art and education to break down barriers between people of different backgrounds.
Between 2002 and 2005, the Museum underwent a significant expansion. The Museum was renamed in honor of Schnitzer, who funded much of the development at that time.
Address: One Eugene Center, Eugene, Oregon, USA
Phone: 541-682-5087 / 541-682-5000
The Hult Center is on Willamette Street between 6th and 7th Avenues, next to the Graduate Eugene (formerly the Hilton Eugene) and Conference Center.
The Hult Center and the Hilton Hotel, two components of an urban revitalization project financed by a voter-approved bond issue in 1978, opened to the public in 1982.
The Hult Center is one of two theaters the city of Eugene manages and runs.
The town of Eugene owns, and Kesey Enterprises manages, the Cuthbert Amphitheater at Alton Baker Park.
In total, 27 architectural firms fought it out for the honor of designing the facility. Despite this, the City Council of Eugene, Oregon, ultimately decided to hire the New York firm of Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates for the job.
The company's prior work includes the $7.5 million, 2,700-seat Minneapolis Orchestra Hall and the $13 million, 2,700-seat Boettcher Concert Hall at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts.
Address: 126 E. 8th Avenue, Eugene, Oregon, USA
The Market has developed into a social hub for the entire neighborhood, where locals hang out with friends, show off their homes to guests, circulate petitions, and shop for seasonal celebrations.
As a result, cost-free booth space allows non-profit community groups to communicate information.
The importance of good entertainment to keeping locals coming back has grown substantially in recent years. The Market now features craft demos as a weekly draw to provide a continuous educational experience for its customers.
The Market has impacted policy decisions at the state level that affect the distribution of baked products. Many college and high school students have used it as a topic for research papers and design projects.
Address: 32275 Fox Hollow Rd., Eugene, Oregon, USA
The Cascades Raptor Center in Eugene, Oregon, is a nature and wildlife hospital focusing on raptor rehabilitation. As of the following November (in the year 2020), 37 birds representing 21 species will be living at the facility permanently.
When it first opened in 1987, the Cascades Raptor Attraction served the community as a wildlife hospital and nature center without charging admission. The center has been open to the public since it was relocated in the early years of 1994.
Address: 200 Day Island Rd., Eugene, Oregon, USA
Alton Baker Park is close to Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Oregon, United States. 60 years after its founding, Alton F. Baker Sr. became the twelfth owner of The Guard newspaper in Eugene. Therefore the street was named after him (later The Register-Guard).
A disc golf course, dog park, and duck ponds can all be found there. The Ferry Street Bridge over the Willamette River is precisely in its path.
The Cuthbert Amphitheater provides an additional amenity by hosting outdoor musical and dramatic performances. The park's architect, Fred Cuthbert, was honored with a theater bearing his name.
Wilhamut Natural Area describes the undeveloped eastern section of Alton Baker Park. Pathways for bicyclists and open areas connect it to the Eastgate Woodlands nearby Springfield.
On September 7, 2002, a traditional Kalapuya naming ceremony was held as part of a ceremony to rename the park, then known as East Alton Baker Park.
Address: 1680 East 15th Avenue, Eugene, Oregon, USA
The UO Natural History Museum, also known as the University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, is an American natural history museum located on the campus of the University of Oregon in Eugene.
Location: 1680 East 15th Avenue, in a building modeled after Native American longhouses in the Pacific Northwest, which houses the Museum's administrative offices and public exhibition spaces.
When Thomas Condon, a state geologist, was employed as one of the first three professors at the University of Oregon in 1876, he brought his enormous fossil collection with him.
In 1935, under the guidance of archaeologist Luther Cressman, the Oregon State Museum of Anthropology (OSMA) was founded by the Oregon State Legislative Assembly.
The Condon Museum and the State Museum of Anthropology merged in 1936 under Luther Cressman's leadership into the University of Oregon Museum of Natural History.
Since Cressman's retirement in the '60s, the Museum has been led by several illustrious individuals, including J. Arnold Shotwell, Alice Parman, Don Dumond, C. Melvin Aikens, and Jon Erlandson.
The Museum now features four departments: the Archaeological Research Division (formerly known as OSMA), the Anthropological Collections department, the Public Programs department, and the Condon Paleontological Collection.
Almost one hundred thousand fossils have been unearthed in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest. The Museum also has nearly a million archaeological objects, such as the renowned Fort Rock sandals.
Many of these relics, fossils, and artifacts are permanently displayed in the Museum's exhibit halls. The Museum also features rotating exhibits that include the work of Pacific Northwest artists and explore various cultural and natural history themes. Native plant garden, geological chronology, and a meteorite replica make up the Museum's outside space.
Museum of Natural and Cultural History is Oregon's designated prehistoric and historical artifacts repository. It must ensure that these documents are accessible and adequately interpreted for future generations.
The museum staff interacts directly with many groups, including those from the University of Oregon, the thousands of K-12 students and instructors in the surrounding area, residents, international scholars, and volunteers.
Many local, state, and federal agencies and other institutions work with the research and collections department personnel to conduct and maintain collections for future research and interpretation.
Native Americans from the Northwest Coast, Columbia Plateau, Great Basin, and Willamette Valley worked with curators to construct exhibitions.
They created replicas for displays to emphasize the rich history of their communities.
The Museum also provides interpretation and illustrations of the geological, paleontological, and ecological history of the Pacific Northwest.
The 69th installment of the University of Oregon's Anthropological Papers series is dedicated to publishing research conducted at the Museum.
FREE Cancellations, NO card fees!
Value Options View Offers